I found this GF recipe recently in the Sunday Times magazine. The result is a delicious, moist and dense brownie cake with a lovely touch of sweetness and gooeyness in the topping.
Give it a go, you won’t be disappointed.
What you need:
For the Topping, upside down cake style
85g Flaked Almonds
80g Brown sugar
For the Brownie mix
150g Dark Chocolate (I used Aldi’s Moser Roth)
175g Caster Sugar
100g Ground Almonds
This is how we do it
1. Spread the flaked almonds on a baking tray and toast in the oven for around 4 minutes @ 170C
2. Remove from the oven and scatter on the bottom of a fully lined standard springform cake tin.
3. Make your caramel by melting the butter on a low heat and adding the sugar once it is fully dissolved. Stir the mix and leave simmering for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the caramel is thickened and coats the spoon you are ready to rock.
4. Spread the caramel sauce evenly over the flaked almonds
5. For the brownie mix – Melt the butter and the chocolate together in a bain marie
6. While the mix is melting, beat the sugar and eggs together until pale and fluffy
7. Combine the two mixes together and fold in the ground almonds
8. Pour the brownie batter over the caramel and bake for 35-45 minutes @ 170C. The cake is done when the top is firm.
9. Allow the cake to cool before removing from the tin and slicing
I love this cake with ice cream but it would be equally good with cream!