I recently made this GF sponge cake for my husband’s birthday. It turned out light & fluffy and you’d never know it was gluten free.
It’s so easy aswell. I have had a few baking disasters recently so I wanted something fool-proof!
Recipe is adapted from Rachel Allen
What you need:
3 eggs, separated
225g Caster Sugar
90 ml cold water
140g Plain Flour ( I used Dove’s Farm)
1 tsp Baking Powder (I used Dr Oetker)
1 tsp Xantham Gum (I used Dove’s Farm)
250ml Whipping Cream
Punnet of Strawberries
This is how we do it:
1. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together for 2 mins
2. Add the water and whisk for 5 mins until creamy in texture
3. Fold in the flour (sieved), baking powder and Xantham gum
4. In another bowl, whip the egg whites until the form stiff peaks
5. Fold the egg whites into the cake batter gently
6. Divide into two 20cm baking tins (greased)and cook at 180C from 17-20 mins until golden brown
7. Once they are out of the oven, leave to cool in the tin for around 10 mins. Then, turn out to cool on a wire rack
8. Coat one half of the cake in jam and the other in whipped cream. Cover the whipped cream half in chopped strawberries and Voila!